Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• Subscribe With iTunes
      Facebook Page
      Twitter
      Share/Save/Bookmark
      Subscribe

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/mar/27/ken-loach-eric-cantona-looking-for-eric

I really like Ken Loach - but this sounds a bit odd even by his standards.

Opinions on Loach?

Favourite Loach films?

Only seen Land and Freedom, but it was good and worth 7/10.

Can you think of a great introduction to his work Dance aside from this?

I like his Scottish trilogy or tetraology or if you include Carla's Song. The three films, My Name is Joe, Ae Fond Kiss & Sweet Sixteen are real high quality, depressing yet funny dark social dramas. What Loach excels with.

However, if you liked Land and Freedom I would recommend The Wind that Shakes the Barley. It is a great film, arguably Loach's best film, with a couple of great central performances. This film can be put alongside Hunger & Bloody Sunday for a rather damning perspective of the Brits in Ireland. All by English directors.

Is Loach the most Left Field English director, the most respected European Auteur to come from these shores.

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009

Posted by: DanceDanceDance

I like his Scottish trilogy or tetraology or if you include Carla's Song. The three films, My Name is Joe, Ae Fond Kiss & Sweet Sixteen are real high quality, depressing yet funny dark social dramas. What Loach excels with.

Tetraology and a third if you include Tickets, three Celtic fans face a moral dilemma on a train.

Posted by: ozufan

Tetraology and a third if you include Tickets, three Celtic fans face a moral dilemma on a train.

True.

Want to know how geeky I am - I hate when people use Quadrilogy instead of Tetraology as Quadrilogy is not a word - but was made up for the Alien box set, because people are morons and did not know what Tetra was.

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009

because people are now morons and did not know what Tetra was.

The Blue Peter dog? The one owned by Peter Purves? 

A few other Ken Loach films which would be enjoyable for anything LFC fan.

• Kes
    • Hidden Agenda
    • Bread and Roses
    • Riff Raff

Loach interests me because of his focus on the lowest in society, his uncompromising politics and the great performances he elicits.

Posted by: DanceDanceDance.

Is Loach the most Left Field English director, the most respected European Auteur to come from these shores.

I am going to disagree with myself

Michael Winterbottom is the most Left Field English director working today, Ken Russell must also be considered - however I have not seen too many of his films because they have never been released on DVD.

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009

Looking For Eric: some excellent stuff in here though the overwhelming sentimentality and the unbelievable changes in characters attitudes spoilt it a bit for me. Still well worth watching, but no masterpiece. The Cantona stuff works really well though. 

• CommentAuthorolly
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

Posted by: ozufan

Looking For Eric: some excellent stuff in here though the overwhelming sentimentality and the unbelievable changes in characters attitudes spoilt it a bit for me. Still well worth watching, but no masterpiece. The Cantona stuff works really well though. 

Very enjoyable but I wasnt quite so convinced by the Cantona stuff, infact the scenes often felt extraneous, the scenes with his mates were far stronger and more enjoyable.

• CommentAuthorAquaman84
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

I've only seen Kes and Sweet Sixteen but am looking forward to Looking For Eric. Will have to add a few of the above suggestions to my lovefilm list.

I saw Looking for Eric today. First off I thought the lighter, more romantic scenes really worked. I loved all of the Cantona scenes, which I thought were excellently played by both actors. I really laughed and enjoyed the moments with all of the friends sitting about, the fake goal celebration; the self help seminar & joke telling. If the film had keep this light tone throughout it would have been a sure fire winnner - a romantic comedy classic for the future. However, the side plot about the step son was so fucking annoying and crassly told, the film is in fact one of my least favourite Ken Loach movies - these scenes are really disappointing, culminating in one of the worst endings I have seen for awhile.

Cantona - Good

Social Realism - Bad

6/10

Add your comments
    Username Password
  • Format comments as