Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• Subscribe With iTunes
      Facebook Page
      Twitter
      Share/Save/Bookmark
      Subscribe

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009

Who are some of your favorite artists? As in painters, sculptors, and/or photographers.

• CommentAuthorTom

I like Kandinsky a lot.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: TomI like Kandinsky a lot.

What do you like about his work in particular?

• CommentAuthorolly

If i had to pick ten favourites this is them but I'm more interested in individual works than an artist oeuvre, I love Henri Rousseau but alot of his work I don't like at all.

• Eric Ravilious
    • Hendrich Goltzius
    • Henri Rousseau
    • George Grosz
    • Walter Sickert
    • William Hogarth
    • Patrick Heron
    • J. M. W. Turner
    • Vincent Van Gogh
    • Hieronymus Bosch
    • John Martin
    • CommentAuthordimabbq

Salvador Dali and Picasso are both endlessly fascinating.

Can we throw music into the mix?
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: olly

If i had to pick ten favourites this is them but I'm more interested in individual works than an artist oeuvre, I love Henri Rousseau but alot of his work I don't like at all.

• Eric Ravilious
    • Hendrich Goltzius
    • Henri Rousseau
    • George Grosz
    • Walter Sickert
    • William Hogarth
    • Patrick Heron
    • J. M. W. Turner
    • Vincent Van Gogh

Turner and Van Gogh are two of my favorites. I like most of the Impressionists and Renaissance artists as well as Caspar David Friedrich, Francisco Goya, El Greco, Eugene Delacroix, and dare I say it .           .             . Norman Rockwell.

That's just off the top of my head though.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqSalvador Dali and Picasso are both endlessly fascinating. Can we throw music into the mix?

Well, I was hoping to keep this focused on visual art, but if you want to, sure. :)

• CommentAuthordimabbq

NG - "Well, I was hoping to keep this focused on visual art"

Nah that's cool.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqNG - "Well, I was hoping to keep this focused on visual art" Nah that's cool.

I'm curious though, who did you wanna talk about?

• CommentAuthordimabbq

If we are talking about music, is every piece of music considered "art"? What are some of your favourite pieces of music?
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqIf we are talking about music, is every piece of music considered "art"? What are some of your favourite pieces of music?

Well that always leads to the question 'What is Art?'.

And to get that out of the way, I'll provide my definition. Art is the result of some sort of creative action. Whether it's music, a film, or a painting. An action and thought should go into making it. So one could say that even a Michael Bay film is 'art', the real question is 'Is it 'good' or 'bad' art?'. Ok, enough philosophizing. ;)

I actually prefer classical, but I can listen to almost anything. Country, Rock, Folk music, Jazz, all except mainly Rap and Hip-Hop. However I've never really had a favorite band or singer 'cause I've never really attached to any.

What do you like?

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009

Posted by: dimabbqIf we are talking about music, is every piece of music considered "art"? What are some of your favourite pieces of music?

I would consider an album like Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd to be a piece of art and worthy of comparison with the work of the "great" composers.

• CommentAuthorTom

Posted by: NGS712
    Posted by: TomI like Kandinsky a lot.

What do you like about his work in particular?

It's hard to say really. The colours just strike a chord with me:

I have been to the Kandinsky Museum in Munich and it's well worth it. One thing I wasn't expecting was that he painted the frames as well! Very unusual...

• CommentAuthorolly

I didnt know Kandinsky painted his frames, it must be great to see so much of his work together. Have visited the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam a couple of times and thats awe inspiring to see so much of his work collected together the man must have been a painting machine. Here is a Howard Hodgkin, another chap who likes to paint his frames..

• CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009

What are some good biopics on artists?

I've seen Lust for Life which is pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

Here's a few films about real artists, though not necessarily biopics

Andrei Rublev - Tarkovsky masterpiece
    Van Gogh - 1991 Pialat film 
    Vince & Theo - Altman picture
    Dreams - section in Kurosawa film with Scorsese playing guess who - VVG
    Moon and Sixpence - Gaugin as told by Somerset Maugham
    Basquiat - Schnabels first film
    Pollock - Ed Harris directs and acts
    Surviving Picasso - Anthony Hopkins in not too good movie
    Klimt - another poor effort, Malkovich in Ruiz film.
    The Agony and the Ecstasy - Carol Reed film about Michelangelo played by Charles Heston
    Frida - Frida Kahlo as played by Salma Hayek
    Modigliani of Montparnasse - Jacques Becker film I've not seen
    Caravaggio - Derek Jarman
    Love Is the Devil: Study for a Portrait of Francis Bacon : John Maybury film with Derek Jacobi as the artist
    Cradle Will Rock - segment on Diego Rivera's censored work in Rockefeller Center, also includes Frida Kahlo
    Backbeat - Stuart Sutcliffe
    Factory Girl - There's a whole bundle about Warhol, this isn't great.
    F for Fake - About Elmyr an art forger amongst other things, and a Picasso story.
    er Moulin Rouge?

There are hundreds if not thousands of fictitious artists in movies including
    Hour Of The Wolf
    Theorem
    Scandal
    Scarlet Street
    Le Plaisir

and of course the fantastic The Rebel

And then there's photography.....

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

Tony Hart is dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7836112.stm

I remember a survey a while back when the great british public was asked to name a famous artist.

Tony Hart came second.

Rolf Harris was first.

• CommentAuthorTom

Posted by: olly

I didnt know Kandinsky painted his frames,

You can just about see it here:

John Martin

Bosch:

• CommentAuthorTom

Posted by: DanceDanceDance

John Martin

I'm sure I've seen some of his stuff in London Dance. Is there a lot in the Tate?

• CommentAuthormekka

Rousseau

Schulz-Neudamm

Posted by: Tom

John Martin

I'm sure I've seen some of his stuff in London Dance. Is there a lot in the Tate?

I saw both these at the Lourve in Paris when I was there two years ago

• CommentAuthorTom

• CommentAuthorolly

A documentry; The Art of Failure: Chuck Connelly Not for Sale

it charts the rise and fall of the artist that Martin Scorsese based his section of New York Stories on.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: ozufan

Here's a few films about real artists, though not necessarily biopics

Andrei Rublev - Tarkovsky masterpiece
    Van Gogh - 1991 Pialat film 
    Vince & Theo - Altman picture
    Dreams - section in Kurosawa film with Scorsese playing guess who - VVG
    Moon and Sixpence - Gaugin as told by Somerset Maugham
    Basquiat - Schnabels first film
    Pollock - Ed Harris directs and acts
    Surviving Picasso - Anthony Hopkins in not too good movie
    Klimt - another poor effort, Malkovich in Ruiz film.
    The Agony and the Ecstasy - Carol Reed film about Michelangelo played by Charles Heston
    Frida - Frida Kahlo as played by Salma Hayek
    Modigliani of Montparnasse - Jacques Becker film I've not seen
    Caravaggio - Derek Jarman
    Love Is the Devil: Study for a Portrait of Francis Bacon : John Maybury film with Derek Jacobi as the artist
    Cradle Will Rock - segment on Diego Rivera's censored work in Rockefeller Center, also includes Frida Kahlo
    Backbeat - Stuart Sutcliffe
    Factory Girl - There's a whole bundle about Warhol, this isn't great.
    F for Fake - About Elmyr an art forger amongst other things, and a Picasso story.
    er Moulin Rouge?

There are hundreds if not thousands of fictitious artists in movies including
    Hour Of The Wolf
    Theorem
    Scandal
    Scarlet Street
    Le Plaisir

and of course the fantastic The Rebel

And then there's photography.....

I forgot about Pollock, I thought that was a very good film. It's amazing how much Harris looks like Pollock. I saw most of Caravaggio, it was odd to say the least with the inclusion of modern dress and props, but I believe that's supposed to be like how Caravaggio painted biblical scenes as though they were the present day.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

John Martin

I don't think I've ever heard of Martin, but I really like the color in these paintings. Bosch is very good too, what do you think of Bruegel?

• CommentAuthorFran

The Flaming Lips : The Soft Bulletin

Elbow's albums are all very worth hearing.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: Fran

The Flaming Lips : The Soft Bulletin

Elbow's albums are all very worth hearing.

I've actually heard one or two songs by Elbow after hearing one in the Burn After Reading trailer. I can't believe I've never heard of them, anywhere, before. :)

• CommentAuthorFran

They are fantastic, Early albums are better but seriously depressing. One of the only bands around that haven't gone too mainstream. If you can catch them live its well worth it.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: Fran

One of the only bands around that haven't gone too mainstream.

Though I haven't heard many of their songs, that's one of the reasons I like them.

Music:

Art Pepper - Winter Moon

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

The single piece of music from Bellini opera Norma - Casta Diva

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

The Replacements - Let it Be

Barber - Adgio for Strings

Beethoven - 5th Symphony

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Boatman Calls

•  
      CommentAuthorChris

I love William Blake

• CommentAuthorolly

Eric Ravilious was one of the great british watercolorists and at a time when any artist worth his salt was turning to modernism he was doggedly turning out paintings like this,

• CommentAuthordimabbq

NG - "Well that always leads to the question 'What is Art?'.

And to get that out of the way, I'll provide my definition. Art is the result of some sort of creative action. Whether it's music, a film, or a painting. An action and thought should go into making it. So one could say that even a Michael Bay film is 'art', the real question is 'Is it 'good' or 'bad' art?'. Ok, enough philosophizing. ;)

I actually prefer classical, but I can listen to almost anything. Country, Rock, Folk music, Jazz, all except mainly Rap and Hip-Hop. However I've never really had a favorite band or singer 'cause I've never really attached to any.

What do you like?"

That's a nice definition.

I love Debussy's Claire de Lune, Beethoven's Piano Sonatas and Tchaikovsky's Allegro Non Troppo but also really like Bob Marley and Aphex Twin. A weird mix i know.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009 edited

Posted by: dimabbqNG - I love Debussy's Claire de Lune, Beethoven's Piano Sonatas and Tchaikovsky's Allegro Non Troppo but also really like Bob Marley and Aphex Twin. A weird mix i know.

I like Claire de Lune too, but I haven't heard anything else by Debussy. I like most of the 'big' classical composers and some of the modern ones like Shostakovich, the two pieces I've heard by him were very good. One was a piano concerto I believe and the other was a waltz from his 'jazz suite'.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

If you can get your hands on Debussy - The Classic Collection 053 - Poetic Impressions, it is one of the most beautiful piano pieces i have ever heard.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqIf you can get your hands on Debussy - The Classic Collection 053 - Poetic Impressions, it is one of the most beautiful piano pieces i have ever heard.

Actually most of the classical I've found is on YT, would you happen to know of any specific videos?

• CommentAuthordimabbq

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnXyVxsZ_E&feature=related - i'm seeing Perahia in February, should be good.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xi5D6u5RI5c&feature=related - probably my favourite of all pieces.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009

Anyone know Henri-Cartier Bresson?

• CommentAuthordimabbq

I had to study the bugger at AS! I never really got into his style but some of his work is very interesting.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqI had to study the bugger at AS! I never really got into his style but some of his work is very interesting.

I think his work is fascinating. I can't really put it into words how much I love seeing his photographs. :) And a bit of trivia, he played an 'English' butler in The Rules of the Game however I never noticed him. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

Fabulous photographer and involved in two Renoir movies - both on and off screen.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Fabulous photographer and involved in two Renoir movies - both on and off screen.

It makes me wonder what he might've done if he were a career cinematographer.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

We were actually supposed to take photos LIKE Bresson...it's ridiculous. He, for one, is an absolute master and the grandfather of photojournalism while we were: a bunch of school kids. It's like asking a pupil to write a best-selling book as English homework.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqWe were actually supposed to take photos LIKE Bresson...it's ridiculous. He, for one, is an absolute master and the grandfather of photojournalism while we were: a bunch of school kids. It's like asking a pupil to write a best-selling book as English homework.

That's a good comparison. I took a photography course in high school and while we didn't have to take photos that were 'like' anyones, I never liked having to have specific 'projects'. I think it would've been much more productive if I were allowed to just take photos of whatever I thought would make a good picture. I'm sure I probably would've gotten more interesting ones.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

Bingo. The teachers seem to be more concerned with the number of rolls and annotations rather than the quality of the photograph itself.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqBingo. The teachers seem to be more concerned with the number of rolls and annotations rather than the quality of the photograph itself.

That and 'grades'.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

NG - "That and 'grades'"

Yes indeed, the forbidden "G" word.
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqNG - "That and 'grades'" Yes indeed, the forbidden "G" word.

I've always felt that 'grades' have ruined education. Everything's taught in such a way that once summer comes along you just forget everything you learned, unless it's something you're particularly good at.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

NG - "Everything's taught in such a way that once summer comes along you just forget everything you learned, unless it's something you're particularly good at."

Or just something you care about. That's how i got through maths though: our teacher always taught us things we needed for the exam. The only slightly mathematical exercise i get now is when doing sudoku and buying shopping.

By the way, has anyone ever read Translations? It's a very good play by Brian Friel.
    • CommentAuthorNatalia

I don't know a great deal about art and it's only during the last few years that I've started going to art galleries and exhibitions.

Anyhow, my favourite artists are:

• Edgar Degas
    • Edward Hopper
    • Claude Monet
    • Vincent Van Gogh
    • Roy Lichtenstein

I also really love fashion all my favourite photographers are fashion photographers:

• Irving Penn
    • Horst P. Horst
    • Miles Aldrige
    • Mert & Marcus
    • Richard Avedon
    • Norman Parkinson
    • CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: dimabbqNG - "Everything's taught in such a way that once summer comes along you just forget everything you learned, unless it's something you're particularly good at." Or just something you care about. That's how i got through maths though: our teacher always taught us things we needed for the exam. The only slightly mathematical exercise i get now is when doing sudoku and buying shopping. By the way, has anyone ever read Translations? It's a very good play by Brian Friel.

Yes that's true. History and English were always easy for me 'cause I like learning about the past and reading. And yeah, about the only 'math' I can do is simple equations [add, subtract] and sudoku.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: Natalia

I don't know a great deal about art and it's only during the last few years that I've started going to art galleries and exhibitions.

Anyhow, my favourite artists are:

• Edgar Degas
    • Edward Hopper
    • Claude Monet
    • Vincent Van Gogh
    • Roy Lichtenstein

I also really love fashion all my favourite photographers are fashion photographers:

• Irving Penn
    • Horst P. Horst
    • Miles Aldrige
    • Mert & Marcus
    • Richard Avedon
    • Norman Parkinson

I've only seen Penn's portraits, but I like those too.

• CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009

I've never seen that Hopper painting before. Very appropriate for this group. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

Has anyone seen the art installations of Douglas Gordon?

I've seen the Zidane film and just bought Double Cross: The Hollywood Films of Douglas Gordon in Blackwells sale.

He did things like 24 hour Psycho which is as it suggests Psycho stretched to last 24 hours.

Also did Confessions of a Justified Sinner playing with the 1931 Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. The classic Scottish duality with Hogg and Stevenson.

And other exhibitions include messing with The Searchers, Vertigo, Whirlpool and The Song of Bernadette

• CommentAuthorNGS712

I've seen the Zidane film and just bought Double Cross: The Hollywood Films of Douglas Gordon in Blackwells sale.

He did things like 24 hour Psycho which is as it suggests Psycho stretched to last 24 hours.

Also did Confessions of a Justified Sinner playing with the 1931 Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. The classic Scottish duality with Hogg and Stevenson.

And other exhibitions include messing with The Searchers, Vertigo, Whirlpool and The Song of Bernadette

What does he do with these films?

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

What does he do with these films?

I'll let you know once I read the book.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

I'll let you know once I read the book.

Sorry about that, I didn't see the 'just bought'. :)

An abvious choice I know, here's another one I love that isn't that original.

Personally I'm much more into photography, I love Don McCullins work. It's not working so I'll just post the URL.

http://elt.fm/post/51269734

• CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009

Posted by: sleepysamco

Personally I'm much more into photography, I love Don McCullins work. It's not working so I'll just post the URL.

http://elt.fm/post/51269734

I feel I should know the name of this artist .       .        .

• CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009

Anyone else a fan of Goya?

• CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009

Does anyone else like Franz Liszt's music?

Anyone else a fan of Goya?

Anyone whose a fan of Pan's Labyrinth should compare Goya's art to the imagery in the film. The piece 'Saturn Eats His Children' was absorlutely an influence of Del Toro.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: CoheedandCambria

Anyone whose a fan of Pan's Labyrinth should compare Goya's art to the imagery in the film. The piece 'Saturn Eats His Children' was absorlutely an influence of Del Toro.

That actually reminds me of something I wanted to mention. You know how Saturn is part of the 'Black paintings'? I read that an art historian, can't remember the name just now, claims that they might've not been painted by him.

That actually reminds me of something I wanted to mention. You know how Saturn is part of the 'Black paintings'? I read that an art historian, can't remember the name just now, claims that they might've not been painted by him.

Ooh, a little bit a controversy.

What's the general view of the Surrealists?

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Ooh, a little bit a controversy.

What's the general view of the Surrealists?

Yes, it really brings up the question do we value the work or just the artist's name?  As far as the surrealists, I've seen mostly Dali and his work is interesting. However, I tend to prefer most art before that.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

Coheed: "What's the general view of the Surrealists?"

Fish. 

Seriously though, I adore Dali's work. If you've ever been to Barcelona, they have a fantastic museum just full to the brim of his works. From sculptures and pencil drawings to the classic melting clocks and elephants. Really stunning. 

Posted by: dimabbq

Coheed: "What's the general view of the Surrealists?"

Fish. 

Seriously though, I adore Dali's work. If you've ever been to Barcelona, they have a fantastic museum just full to the brim of his works. From sculptures and pencil drawings to the classic melting clocks and elephants. Really stunning. 

Wouldn't it be great to have a melting clock in the living room next to the TV?

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Wouldn't it be great to have a melting clock in the living room next to the TV?

Nah, I'd never be on time for anything.

• CommentAuthorNGS712
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009

I love this painting by Turner:

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009

Another great film about real artists is Kenji Mizoguchi's Five Women Around Utamaro about Utamaro Kitagawa (1753-1806) a woodblock print artist famous for including human emotion. Contains a painting duel and finishes with loads of his paintings (although doesn't burst into colour). 

Add your comments
    Username Password
  • Format comments as