Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• Subscribe With iTunes
      Facebook Page
      Twitter
      Share/Save/Bookmark
      Subscribe

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Especially the Eurotrip cameo. Very random. But then it explains he was just doing a favour for old uni friends...

•  
      CommentAuthorChris
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009

Matt Damon!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimB

I still mentain I'm Fucking Matt Damon is his best work...
    • CommentAuthordimabbq

TimB - "I still mentain I'm Fucking Matt Damon is his best work..."

That and Jason Bourne.

The Good Shephard is his best work in my opinion.

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

Posted by: DanceDanceDance

The Good Shephard is his best work in my opinion.

I think he's excellent in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I think he's underrated in The Departed. DiCaprio is the star, in my opinion, but Damon is brilliantly slimy as someone who is, for all intents and purposes, the antithesis of Jason Bourne.

He is fantastically charismatic in Good Will Hunting, and as said by Tom, is great in Mr. Ripley.

My hat goes off to him, he doesn't carry round pompus Hollywood-star crap, doesn't seem to phone performances in and has a good sense of humour.

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009

Posted by: PatrickBateman

I think he's underrated in The Departed. DiCaprio is the star, in my opinion, but Damon is brilliantly slimy as someone who is, for all intents and purposes, the antithesis of Jason Bourne.

He is fantastically charismatic in Good Will Hunting, and as said by Tom, is great in Mr. Ripley.

My hat goes off to him, he doesn't carry round pompus Hollywood-star crap, doesn't seem to phone performances in and has a good sense of humour.

And he thinks Sarah Palin is ridiculous.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: TomAnd he thinks Sarah Palin is ridiculous.

Who doesn't?

• CommentAuthorTom

Posted by: NGS712
    Posted by: TomAnd he thinks Sarah Palin is ridiculous.

Who doesn't?

She was elected, god help you.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: Tom

But only in Alaska, .      .      . so far.

Posted by: Tom

But only in Alaska, .      .      . so far.

If what I read on the New York Times website is true, she's not going to get much further now if things keep going bad for her. When a group is set up to help rebuild her political strength you know things are in the drain.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: CoheedandCambria

If what I read on the New York Times website is true, she's not going to get much further now if things keep going bad for her. When a group is set up to help rebuild her political strength you know things are in the drain.

Either way, I do plan to leave the U.S. someday for an 'extended' vacation.

• CommentAuthorElCartero
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

The thing that suprised me the most about the Departed was Mark Wahlberg, i thought he was fantastic, and probably even more so becuase he's the only one who isn't a "respected" actor. I though Damon was average.

I'm not a huge fan of the Bourne films, they're okay but i still prefer bond (maybe i'm a sucker for queen and country) but i remember an interview i read with Matt Damon where he slagged off the Bond franchise and then kind of realising the hole he had dug started slagging off the Bourne films. I know there's the scene in Dogma where he and Ben Affleck say you should do a commercial film then a personal one, but that's different from actually biting the hand that feeds and i hate it when actors do that (most recently with Megan Fox, i mean c'mon, did you really expect Transformers 2 to be something else?").

I thought Good Will Hunting was good, but Damons' real achievement there was with the screenplay and not the acting (there's a rumour that all Ben Affleck did was type). So whilst i don't think he's anything more then average, i am looking forward to The Informant which i am hearing very good things about.

• CommentAuthorFran

Posted by: ElCartero

The thing that suprised me the most about the Departed was Mark Wahlberg, i thought he was fantastic, and probably even more so becuase he's the only one who isn't a "respected" actor. I though Damon was average.

I'm not a huge fan of the Bourne films, they're okay but i still prefer bond (maybe i'm a sucker for queen and country) but i remember an interview i read with Matt Damon where he slagged off the Bond franchise and then kind of realising the hole he had dug started slagging off the Bourne films. I know there's the scene in Dogma where he and Ben Affleck say you should do a commercial film then a personal one, but that's different from actually biting the hand that feeds and i hate it when actors do that (most recently with Megan Fox, i mean c'mon, did you really expect Transformers 2 to be something else?").

I thought Good Will Hunting was good, but Damons' real achievement there was with the screenplay and not the acting (there's a rumour that all Ben Affleck did was type). So whilst i don't think he's anything more then average, i am looking forward to The Informant which i am hearing very good things about.

Have you seen The Good Shepherd, for my money the most underrated film of this decade and Damons best performance.

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: FranHave you seen The Good Shepherd, for my money the most underrated film of this decade and Damons best performance.

I got that as a gift but I haven't watched it yet, is it really that good?

• CommentAuthorElCartero

Posted by: FranHave you seen The Good Shepherd, for my money the most underrated film of this decade and Damons best performance.

I got that as a gift but I haven't watched it yet, is it really that good?

I haven't, no. Is that the one De Niro directed?

• CommentAuthorNGS712

Posted by: ElCarteroI haven't, no. Is that the one De Niro directed?

Yes and I believe he appears in it too.

• CommentAuthorlarma7

Posted by: Fran

Posted by: ElCartero

Have you seen The Good Shepherd, for my money the most underrated film of this decade and Damons best performance.

His best performance was in Team America. Damon totally stole the fucking show! He rocked that shit!

• CommentAuthorFran
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

Ngs. Yes it really is very good. Its an intelligent slow burning thriller, its a little baggy at times and Jolie is miscast but other than that its definately worth watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlec
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009

I'm a big fan of Matt Damon - I might even go so far as to say he's a contender for best actor of his generation.  Always completely natural - barely gives the impression he's acting at all at times.

Top performances;

Good Will Hunting (1997) - one of the best breakthrough performances of the last twenty years

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) - a brave, complex and deeply affecting turn as one of the most interesting anti-heroes in recent memory

All the Pretty Horses (2001) - the film fell far short of is brilliant source material but Damon's incarnation of John Grady Cole - perhaps the quintessential McCarthy character - was note-perfect

The Bourne Identity/Supermacy/Ultimatum (2002, 2004, 2007) - the action hero of the new century

Syriana (2005) - a hugely difficult - and thankless - task in many ways given so much of his dialogue is given over to financial speak, nobody conveys such an innate level of intelligence quite so convincingly

The Departed (2006) - a deceptively sophisticated and multi-layered performance, his malevolent cop may not have grabbed the best lines or many of the initial plaudits but in retrospect it may be the finest work in the film.  It's also a great companion to Ripley.

The Good Shepherd (2006) - quietly powerful, few actors trust in their ability to simply exist within the frame whilst displaying such little overt emotion.

I'm really looking forward to his new film - Steven Soderbergh's The Informant!  The reviews coming out of the festival circuit are championing it as a real triumph for both director and star.  It also looks to tap into Damon's talent for comic timing, something only really utilised to any great effect to date in the Ocean's series.  This looks extremely funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hxi-z3ZZBI

Posted by: Alec

All the Pretty Horses (2001) - the film fell far short of is brilliant source material but Damon's incarnation of John Grady Cole - perhaps the quintessential McCarthy character - was note-perfect  

I have been wanting to see this for a while, however I had heard that it had serious problems, not least the fact that it cut a great deal out of Billy Bob Thornton's original cut, which I believe was well over 3 hours. I am a big fan of the book, in fact I am a big fan of the trilogy. It remains something I intend to see.

•  
      CommentAuthorAlec
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009

Posted by: DanceDanceDance

I have been wanting to see this for a while, however I had heard that it had serious problems, not least the fact that it cut a great deal out of Billy Bob Thornton's original cut, which I believe was well over 3 hours. I am a big fan of the book, in fact I am a big fan of the trilogy. It remains something I intend to see.

You're as big a Cormac McCarthy fan as I am and, as such, it definitely merits a watch.  The worst thing I can say about it is that it will leave you so frustrated that what's in the film is all there is - because I really think Thornton captured the tone of the novel and if he had been able to release his cut, I seriously think it could've been one of my favourite films of the decade.  In terms of mood, atmosphere and setting, I can't imagine it being more perfectly evoked.  The choices of music were great.  It  boasted truly stunning camerawork - I'm talking on par with Terrence Malick films.  Damon and Henry Thomas make a really good pairing as the best friends at the centre of the story, Penelope Cruz certainly looked the part in her fleeting role (just as it was on the page) and Lucas Black made a sensational, if also too brief, impression as Blevins.

Unfortunately, you just know it's been gutted.  It needed the hour that was taken out and this is one of those times when everything bad you've heard about Harvey Weinstein probably came into play.  The experience virtually destroyed Thornton, who hasn't directed anything since, and Damon was left deeply disappointed having publicly stated he thought it featured his best work as an actor.

It is still a good film - but it's entirely possible it could've been a masterpiece.  And there has been no indication that audiences will ever get to see that lost cut which is a crying shame.

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009

I'm a big fan of Matt Damon - I might even go so far as to say he's a contender for best actor of his generation.  Always completely natural - barely gives the impression he's acting at all at times.

Top performances;

Good Will Hunting (1997) - one of the best breakthrough performances of the last twenty years

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) - a brave, complex and deeply affecting turn as one of the most interesting anti-heroes in recent memory

The Bourne Identity/Supermacy/Ultimatum (2002, 2004, 2007) - the action hero of the new century

Syriana (2005) - a hugely difficult - and thankless - task in many ways given so much of his dialogue is given over to financial speak, nobody conveys such an innate level of intelligence quite so convincingly

The Departed (2006) - a deceptively sophisticated and multi-layered performance, his malevolent cop may not have grabbed the best lines or many of the initial plaudits but in retrospect it may be the finest work in the film.  It's also a great companion to Ripley.

The Good Shepherd (2006) - quietly powerful, few actors trust in their ability to simply exist within the frame whilst displaying such little overt emotion.

I'm really looking forward to his new film - Steven Soderbergh's The Informant!  The reviews coming out of the festival circuit are championing it as a real triumph for both director and star.  It also looks to tap into Damon's talent for comic timing, something only really utilised to any great effect to date in the Ocean's series.  This looks extremely funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hxi-z3ZZBI

I agree, he really is very, very good.

I am looking forward to the two forthcoming Clint Eastwood and Matt Damon collaborations. The first up if Invictus about the South African Rugby World Cup Victory in 1995 and the effect that Nelson Mandela had embracing this previously most Apartheid of teams. I am looking forward to this film a lot, however anyone who knows rugby knows that Matt Damon is much too small to be playing Francois Pienaar. This film could either be brilliant or a complete and utter disaster.

There next collaboration is apparently called Hereafter and is a ghost story in the same vein as The Sixth Sense, with a script from the fake history meastro Peter Morgan.

Two very interesting projects in my mind.

He also has signed up to the Steven Soderbergh Liberace biopic alongside Michael Douglas (who will be playing Liberace).

Add your comments
    Username Password
  • Format comments as