Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• Subscribe With iTunes
      Facebook Page
      Twitter
      Share/Save/Bookmark
      Subscribe

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Basically, ask the forum whetther it's worth watching whatever, I'll start with Tim Burtons Batman, I have it recorded but I'm not sure whether it's worth watching or not, is it?

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008 edited

Yes.

Notorious?

Posted by: Tom

Yes.

Notorious?

Notorious is fantastic and I would argue not only is it Hitchcock's best film, it also in top five best films of the 1940's. Highly recommend.

Carrie?

I'd say that Carrie is OK. It's a solid 3/5 star horror film and one of the better King adaptations. That is if we are talking about the Brian DePalma version. The recent TV version is awful beyond awful.

Pride and Prejudice - any version?

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008

Dear god man - NO, don't go bloody near it!

(I mean the BBC production with Colin Firth)

Inland Empire?

• CommentAuthorMikeDawson

No! No! NO! NO! Inland Empire is a terrible waste of times one of the worst films of 2007. I loved Lost Highway and Mulholand Drive, but I hated this, so ugly to look at, so horrible to hear and three fucking hours long! Why Lynch, keep the strange and weird but go back to telling coherent stories please.

That all said I do know a lot of people who liked it, and if you like other Lynch films then you might like this, but one things for certain if you didn't like Mulholand Drive, you'll hate this!

Rocky?

Rocky is brilliant, forget about all the sequels, the original Rocky is a proper film with a proper storyline, with a strong redemptive character arc. It is On the Waterfront/Marty for the 1970s.

(I disagree slightly with Mike about Inland Empire, having seen it 3 times now, it has had a big impact on me.)

Man on Fire?

Awsome, first half about a man realising the meanng of happiness again and the last an amazing revenge movie with a great ending as well

I'm a Cyborg, But that's OK

Good but not his best film, a charming strange romantic comedy with some nice Wook style visual ticks.

(I disagree with sleepysamco about Man on Fire, I thought the ending ruined what was already and MTVised Scott brother masturbatory epic.)

Rambo? (Stallone really is my weak spot in movie knowledge, I think I've only seen Rocky V, Antz and Copland)

I am the resident Rambo apologist!

Got get the 18 quid 4 DVD box set from HMV, get some beer on the way home, and watch 4 of the best worst films ever made. First Blood is Stallone's Taxi Driver but you know not as good, First Blood Part Two Stallone regains America's honour by winning a battle in 'nam, Rambo 3 is awful but he free Afghanistan and kills every Russian in the world.

But the coup de gras is Rambo (aka Rambo IV aka John Rambo) - he rips a mans throat out with his bare hands, people explode in clouds of red.

The Abyss?

• CommentAuthorFran

I would say yes its worth watching but only the directors cut version.

The Thin Red Line ?

The Thin Red Line is perfection.

Fandango with Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson.

Guess no-one has seen Fandango. Not to surprised really!!

How about The Exorcist II: Heretic, OR Exorcist prequel (by Schrader of Harlin)

• CommentTimeOct 20th 2008

The Exorcist prequels are very worth watching from a technical point of view. They're both terrible films, but interesting to watch and see how Schrader and Harlin took the same plot, characters, and in some cases actors and locations and shot them completely differently.  To my suprise the Schrader version was actually worse than the Harlin version.

Knocked Up?

Posted by: MikeDawson

To my suprise the Schrader version was actually worse than the Harlin version.

I am surprised to read that as common perception is that the Schrader version is much better, more psychologically terrifying than Harlin's CG-fest.

I am now intrigued. Damn....

• CommentAuthordimabbq

Mike - Knocked Up?

Don't bother man, i hated it. Boring and pretentious bullshit...but that's just me. I don't care about the Apatapatow thing.

I enjoyed Knocked Up, but don't spend more than a 5er on it, I liked the ending and the characters were simply likeable, if you liked 40 Year Old Virgin, it's a step up

Traffic?

I thought as much about Knocked up, it’s not the sort of the films I’d really watch.
    As for the Exorcist prequels. I was also under the misapprehension that Schrader’s version was some how an unfairly dismissed psychological thriller, but it was in fact awful, and about as menacing or suspenseful as a pot of light mayonnaise. What’s interesting it that they obviously used the same sets, they even had the same director of photography. A key point is the staggering differences in how both directors decided to portray the underground church. Harlin used dim lights and high contrast imagery, Schrader just gives it a white wash and it looks visually quite boring. Don’t get me wrong Harlin’s version is also terrible, and makes the young father Merin figure into a sort of Indiana Jones, live-life-on-the-edge priest which makes you burst with laughter when compared to the more humble version in Schrader’s version. But ultimately Harlin’s version is slightly more engaging and has some of the horror of the original even if it is badly made and directed with Harlin’s usual subtlety – Bull and china shop spring to mind.   Schraders version might be marginally more subtle but is just plain boring but with worse acting and dreadful brief instances of CGI. Watch them both, it really is fascinating to see the same film –only not.

Indiana Jones 4?

Sorry Sam, writing my reply and you’d already responded. Traffic is worth a watch, but your better off watching the original Channel 4 mini series Traffik, from which it was based.

Indie 4 anyone?

Watch it, it's not that good but you have to see it just so you've seen it

it has some great moments and some amazingly bad one too

The Apartment?

• CommentAuthorFran

The Apartment is a comedy masterpiece imo definately give it a go

• CommentAuthorFran

Is it worth doing an Andrei Tarkovsky weekend ( I recently purchased all his films minus Nostalgia) or should I leave more time to breathe between them

• CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited

You might actually die if you watch six Tarkovsky films in one weekend. I'd give it a little breather between each film, although I'm very interested to hear what you think of each of them. Especially Mirror.

Iron Man?

You will need a breather in between in my opinion

• CommentAuthorFran

I thought that so I'll watch them chronologically starting with Ivans Childhood and leave a breather between

Iron Man is ok, Downey is quite good and the chemistry between him and paltrow is nice. Its far superior to Hulk and the turgid Wanted but is no where near The Dark Night's Class

Eagle Eye ?

No, it's alright for the first 20 minutes but then you realise that there's no point to what's happening and it turns to pure shit in your mind

SSouthland Tales? I know it's meant to be awful but there is a limit to how bad it canbe right? I got it from Asda for £3

A bit shit really, but for three quid you didn't waste your money.

NIght of the Hunter?

• CommentAuthorolly
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008

I think its one of the greatest films ever made.

The Fall of the House of Usher(1960) ?

I am a big fan of the Roger Corman/Vincent Price Edgar Allan Poe films. I would recommend seeing The Fall of the House of Usher. Then immediately go out and buy all of the others, Pit and Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death, The Raven, The Tomb of Ligiea, The Haunted Palace etc etc

How about Breach or The Walker?

Posted by: ollyI think its one of the greatest films ever made. The Fall of the House of Usher(1960) ?

Nuff said really. I shall rent it now.

Fanny and Alexander?

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008

Posted by: sleepysamco

Fanny and Alexander?

I also need to know this.

Yes.  God yes.  Best film of the 1980's by a wide margin.  Five hours long but worth every second of them.  I watched it in one go but the region 2 copy it is divided into episodes as well so if you feel it's easier to watch it in chunks like a mini series then you can do that as well.  It will break your heart, and make you cry for joy and has one of cinema's greatest screen villians.  Fanny and Alexander is my second favourite Bergman film just behind Winter Light.  It's incredible!

Volver?  (I'm not a massive fan of his work.)

Yes I like Volver. But I like Almodovar. But I would say see it. It is more mature than his other work, with a greater emotional core.

How about Star Trek - First Contact.

• CommentAuthormekka

I like First Contact, my favourite Trek film.  If you like TNG you should like it.

Posted by: mekka

I like First Contact, my favourite Trek film.  If you like TNG you should like it.

Sad to say the few TNG episodes that I have seen could be counted on one hand, I did like DS9 when I was a kid though. I really enjoyed Generations, does it compare favourably to that?

• CommentAuthormekka

I wasn't keen on Generations.  It seemed a bit too much of a romantic joining of the 2 captains to me.  I much prefer First Contact and personally think it the better film.

First Contact is far superior to Generations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDylan

13 Tzameti?
    • CommentAuthorFran

Fanny and Alexander?

I second what mike just said, absolutely fantastic. Just finished watching it wonderfull film.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

13 Tzameti - I quite liked this actually. It's well shot but retains that amature-ish look and has some great performances. Decent stuff if not completely original. You won't regret seeing it.

The Brown Bunny?

I don't want to see it for the blowjob scene, I just want to know if it's as bloated, boring, and pretentious as I have heard.

Posted by: TrapperJohn1210

The Brown Bunny?

I don't want to see it for the blowjob scene, I just want to know if it's as bloated, boring, and pretentious as I have heard.

I would say no to seeing The Brown Bunny, it is pretentiously dull - even the French did not like it, famously massive walk outs during a screening at Cannes. But I have to say I also hated Buffalo 66, perhaps I am just a Gallo hater.

Rob Zombie's Halloween remake? I am a huge fan of the original!

•  
      CommentAuthorHayden_Bloom
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited

Posted by: MikeDawson

Yes.  God yes.  Best film of the 1980's by a wide margin.

Is Fanny and Alexander really better than Raging Bull?

• CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008

Better than Raging Bull.  It's even better than A Short Film About Killing which is my second favourite film of the 80's.

• CommentAuthoryohan
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

In light of the trilogy thread, I'm wondering if Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy is worth a watch.

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

Definitely. They are the best Toshiro Mifune performances I've seen outside Kurosawa's work. They follow the story of Musashi Miyamoto into a legendary swordsman. I even prefered his version to the Mizoguchi one, though that was only 50 odd minutes.

Howsabout Enduring Love?
    • CommentAuthordimabbq

I really enjoyed Enduring Love. Great Dan Craig performance and Bill Nighy was good in it. Give it a watch.

Lawrence of Arabia? Is it groundbreaking or a solid film? or both

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008

Posted by: dimabbqI really enjoyed Enduring Love. Great Dan Craig performance and Bill Nighy was good in it. Give it a watch.

I second that. It has a truly brilliant performance by Rhys Ifans as well.

• CommentAuthorJammyD
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008

Lawrence of Arabia is a great watch; a perfect Sunday afternoon movie. I wouldn’t call it groundbreaking though. If you want to see Lean at the height of his creativity, however, I’d check out his earlier films - especially his Dickens and Coward adaptations.

What about Fellini’s 8 1/2
    8 1/2 is definitely worth watching for photography and inventive narrative which switches timelines effortlessly. Perhaps a little difficult to engage with at first, but it's definitely Fellini's greatest masterpiece and marks the beginning of Fellini's experimental films.

Not film, but is Veronica Mars worth watching? Just saw the pilot and it showed promise but didn't grab me.

Posted by: MikeDawson8 1/2 is definitely worth watching for photography and inventive narrative which switches timelines effortlessly. Perhaps a little difficult to engage with at first, but it's definitely Fellini's greatest masterpiece and marks the beginning of Fellini's experimental films. Not film, but is Veronica Mars worth watching? Just saw the pilot and it showed promise but didn't grab me.

The first season of Veronica Mars was quite enjoyable and parts of season 2 were good as well. For some reason, I haven't bothered with season 3, which I hear had it's moments, but was disappointing overall. It's a nice combination of a teen drama (but one that isn't so annoying that you want to kill everyone on screen) and a mystery. You do have to move move beyond the pilot to really get into it. I'd say get through the first four episodes of season 1. If you're not into by then, I wouldn't bother. Though, season 2's best moment is Joss Whedon in his acting debut as a dickhead working for a rental car agency.

What about Shock Corridor (or really any of Samuel Fuller's stuff)?

•  
      CommentAuthorChris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008

I've not seen, but heard great things about Samuel Fuller's Pick Up On South Street, Shock Corridor, and The Naked Kiss.

Homcide: Life On The Street - If its worth watching, should I see it before I move on to The Wire, and why do only see seasons 1-6 released on region 2 DVD, when I thought there were 7 seasons of Homicide?

I really like Samuel Fuller's movies. He is a wonderful B-Movie maker, he is about as subtle as a brick (a bit like Oliver Stone) but his films are engrossing. Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are B Movie classics, absolutely worth getting. Both have insane plots, try to read as little about them as possible and you will not be disappointed.

Pick Up on South Street (Richard Widmark is wonderful in this), The Big Red One and House of Bamboo are all really worth getting as well.

Homicide - Season 2 was only 4 episodes long, as such they are combined into the Season one DVD, and just called season one. I think season 1/2 was Homicides peak - it never got better. I believe Mike disagrees with me on this. But I would say it is a good show definitely worth getting into. However there is no need to see it before the Wire. I would urge you to get the Wire as soon as possible because it is the best thing going.

•  
      CommentAuthorChris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited

I know. Unfortunately the new Wire box set is going to be 75-80 quid for a while and I hate paying full whack. Its certainly something I want to own.

Homicide is still pretty dear too anyway.

• CommentAuthorthe_rob
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008

The big empty

•  
      CommentAuthorDylan
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

I've been seeing Rendition at Blockbuster for £4 for ages, and I really like Jake... Is it worth my money?
    •  
      CommentAuthorChris
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

Generation Kill

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/

I'm not going to buy the series for 29 quid but when it comes down in price is it something to look forward to?
    • CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

Posted by: ChrisGeneration Kill http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/ I'm not going to buy the series for 29 quid but when it comes down in price is it something to look forward to?
    I'd also like to know this.

• CommentAuthorFran

dylan: rendition is absolutely terrible do not bother over priced at £4.00

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Directed By Branagh with De Niro as The Monster.

Is it worth watching?

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein's okay, not amazing but worth seeing once, not very good really

The Dead Girl? The trailer makes it look like a masterpiece

•  
      CommentAuthorChris

McLibel (2005) directed by Ken Loach

The 2-disc is £3.50 at CD WOW
    • CommentAuthorFran

Posted by: ChrisMcLibel (2005) directed by Ken Loach The 2-disc is £3.50 at CD WOW

I've seen this its ok it looks very cheap though but interesting. Don't think Loach actually directed it although he is linked to it.

• CommentAuthorFran

Pride and Glory it looks terrible but i'm curious

I got a VHS boxset for 50p of Krull, Hook and Princess Bride, are any of 'em worth watching?

• CommentAuthormekka
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008

I loved Krull as a kid, was very disapppointed a couple of years back on the rewatch.

Never seen Hook.

The Princess Bride is well worth a watch, it's brilliant.

Black Book? - It's blocking up my hard drive should I watch it or relinquish the space to a worthier cause?

• CommentAuthorTom

Posted by: mekka

Black Book? - It's blocking up my hard drive should I watch it or relinquish the space to a worthier cause?

I also need to know this.

I really like it, but do not be under any mistaken apprehension, like I was, that this Verhoven's Schindler's List or The Pianist. It is more like The Guns of Naverone or Where Eagles Dare. It has loads of the usual Verhoven bodily functions nonsense, like the lead actress being showered in shit and famously her dying her pubic hair. But the film is very watchable and greatly enjoyable. The first 5 minutes and last five minutes have a strange framing device that is completely unnecessary but other than this it is a good watch.

Also ,very little is ever made about the Dutch experience during WW2 and this somewhat redresses the balance. It is certainly better than most of his Hollywood work.

• CommentAuthorolly

Posted by: DanceDanceDance

Also ,very little is ever made about the Dutch experience during WW2 and this somewhat redresses the balance. It is certainly better than most of his Hollywood work.

a good film I watched recently concerning exactly that is 'One of Our Aircraft is Missing' a lovely wartime salute to the Dutch resistance.
    • CommentAuthorFran

i thoroughly enjoyed black book and is one of the most entertaining trips to the cinema i can remember for a while
    • CommentAuthordimabbq

I am surprised at how much people enjoyed Black Book. I thought it was awful. Clearly i'm alone on this one.
    Posted by: dimabbqI am surprised at how much people enjoyed Black Book. I thought it was awful. Clearly i'm alone on this one.

It is certainly not high art, but once I got the fact that it was meant to be a "boy's own" style adventure, I really enjoyed the film. It is a bit long but other than that I found the acting to be excellent, it was action packed and had an interesting angle on the Nazi occupied Holland.

I didn't enjoy Black Book too much either,thought the protagonist held her poker face for far too long. Stopped me from emotionally engaging with her.
    • CommentAuthoryohan
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited

Posted by: ChrisGeneration Kill http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/ I'm not going to buy the series for 29 quid but when it comes down in price is it something to look forward to?
    I'd also like to know this.

Yes. It is the best and most realistic rendition of OIF that has been done. While you're waiting for the price to come down, I'd suggest reading Generation Kill and One Bulley Away, which is by the Lt. of the unit, who is now an up and coming star in defense circles, and his book is huge with junior officers in the military. Just keep in mind that it is done from a grunt's perspective, so all the usual perception problems come into play at times.

• CommentAuthorolly
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008

Has anyone seen The Driver (1978)?

Yes, fantastic film, definatley wortch uying, if you're in the UK, the special edition is in ASDA's for £5, or it was

Posted by: ollyHas anyone seen The Driver (1978)?

Yes - Ryan O'Neal and the great Bruce Dern in this Walter Hill classic. Hill made a number of great films early in his career, not least this and The Warriors back to back.

The only drawback with this film is Ryan O'Neal, which is a major drawback as he is the main character, however even with his worst Steve McQueen impression he does not completely derail this film.

I would recommend it.

• CommentAuthorolly

Thats great, its cheaper than where i had found it thanks.

Fuck, thought it said Taxi Driver, sorry, I'm kinda in a lesson so I haven't really got the time,sorry guys

• CommentAuthorolly

Fuck, thought it said Taxi Driver, sorry, I'm kinda in a lesson so I haven't really got the time,sorry guys

well thanks anyway, strangely Asda does have it for £5 and from what dance has written it sounds like you were right to say it was fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorozufan
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008

Thinking of going to see King of Kong. Lots of happy memories of Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Asteroids and Galaxian. Will this spoil these memories?  

•  
      CommentAuthorkumarhk
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008

I'm wondering whether I should watch Australia. (My alternative cinema experience for that upcoming week when Australia releases is Ip Man.)

• CommentAuthoryohan

I vote Ip Man.

Zardoz?

John Boorman's follow up to Deliverance.

• CommentAuthordimabbq

Dance - "Zardoz?"

It has a staggering 5.5 on the imdb-o-meter, though i've never seen it.

No-one seen Zardoz?

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008

It is weird and strange. Sean Connery in a red loin cloth and a big flying stone head. If I remember correctly. It was many many years ago.

Not to side track the issue of the thread BUT

What does everyone think of John Boorman as a director? Mark Kermode hates him and his films, what do people on here think of him?

•  
      CommentAuthorozufan

I love Catch Us If You Can. One of the great beat combo movies, and Deliverance is good too. Exorcist 2 is appalling. Hope and Glory was OK, as was Hell in the Pacific (with Mifune) and Excalibur. Not seen any more than that. But he's not as bad as Kermode makes out. Obviously the piece of crap sequel to the Exorcist is what Kermode can't forgive.

• CommentAuthorolly

Have always held Deliverance up as an example of why Boorman is a great director but watched it again recently and was dissapointed. Point Blank is now the only film of his that I really love.

John Boorman:

Point Blank - Great film, Lee Marvin is a legend.

Hell in the Pacific - Marvin & Mifune, sounds better than it is.

Deliverance - Some great scenes which is let down by a ponderous middle in my opinion, it is a bit slow.

Excalibur - Okay, a bit strange but solidly entertaining.

The Emerald Forest - Powers Boothe is wonderful in this film.

The General - A good film which absolutely destroyed by Jon Voight's hideous Irish accent.

Tailor of Panama - Poor poor poor film.

I do not think he is as bad as Kermode makes out!

The World's Fastest Indian?

Posted by: DanceDanceDance

The World's Fastest Indian?

It's a nice family film and makres you feel happy at the end but nothing special, definately worth a watch though

• CommentAuthorolly
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008

Wagon Master, Its at my local cash converters for £2, should i grab it?

Posted by: olly

Wagon Master, Its at my local cash converters for £2, should i grab it?

It is a minor, but enjoyable, John Ford film (if that is what you are talking about) with stalwarts Ben Johnson and Ward Bond. For two quid from smack converters that is worth a punt in my opinion.

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008

Book, Bell and Candle.

I loved it the one and only time I saw it. Which was around 1984.

• CommentAuthorTom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008

Book, Bell and Candle.

I loved it the one and only time I saw it. Which was around 1984.

Anyone?

Never even heard of it!